While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt


Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Science Club number 1


Science and Art- two of my biggest passions. So I decided to hold a club, once a week for some friends of my kids. (It helps that a few of their moms are teachers too, so we had lots of help!)
Today's theme was building challenges. Scientists have to constantly revise their work and keep trying new ideas or solutions. I stressed perseverance with the kids- if it doesn't work the first time, that's great because you can find a new way. I encouraged them to think like a scientist and ask, "what if I do this...?" or "what will happen if I...?".


Thomas Edison: "Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed."


I set up 5 stations, divided up the 10 or so kids (ages 3-9) into groups of 3 or 4. My 2 year old joined in too!


Station 1. Marbleworks. 
(One of my favourite toys).
 Their challenge was to try to build a pathway that keeps the marble going for at least 30 seconds. I find if they have a goal to work toward, it definitely encourages them to keep going and focuses their efforts.

This was at the end when a bunch of the kids came back to Marbleworks...
the sight of this made me grin from ear to ear!

Station 2: Drinking straw inventions. 
With the help of some really neat connectors I found at a science museum gift shop ("FUN STRAWS"), the kids could make creative and tasty inventions.
This one had straws in 2 different flavours of juice!

Station 3: Pipes
We have a collection of plastic pipe from Home Depot, cut into various sizes, and a bunch of 1/4 and 1/2 "elbows" and round connectors. The kids had to make a pathway for the water that went down the stairs and into the bucket below. Blue water made it just that much more interesting!


My 2 year old getting right in there!




Station 4: Frigits
Frigits are like Marbleworks, but it is 2 dimensional and all about trial and error. Kids from age 2- 15 that have come to our house are captivated by it. These 3 were working on using all the pieces, including the swinging ones, which are really tough!






Station 5: Marble Painting
It seemed to go well with our marble theme. Put a piece of paper in a box or bucket, dip marbles in paint, and tip the box to make designs. They all really enjoyed it!


One of the best parts of the day was that when the kids were getting dropped off (about 12 in total), the hydro company knocked on the door and told us they were shutting off the power for 2 hours. In reality, it was almost 3 hours.
WE DIDN"T EVEN NOTICE!!!
Stay tuned for our next week's club!


No comments:

Post a Comment