While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt


Friday, July 27, 2012

Art and Science Camp

Art and Science Camp



Hard to believe it's been a year since last year's science activities. This year I decided to hold a week long, 3 hour camp for my boys and some of their friends. The age range was 3-9. I held it at my new house, which was perfectly suited for 20 kids... except for all the mess!
(PS- just a disclaimer... if you didn't get to come or didn't know about it, it was only because it filled up to 20 kids before I could blink. I wasn't leaving you out intentionally!!!)

A huge passion of mine is the concept of combining SCIENCE and ART. Fundamentally, they have the same roots- exploration, observation and experimentation. This week, each day had a different theme of a specific science topic, with art projects (Ohhhh... so many projects) tied into the theme.

Most of my ideas came from my experience working at the Vancouver Aquarium, or of course, every mom and teacher's favourite resource, Pinterest.
Specifically, you can look here for most of my ideas. (My Pinterest Science Board)
or my Camp board as well.
While you're at it, my Kiddos board has lots of good stuff too.

DAY 1: Nature

We started with a mural and I made animal track prints for the kids to stamp. Super easy- just draw on craft foam, cut out and glue onto cardboard or styrofoam. The kids paint the stamps and then tell a story with their animal footprints.









I sent the kids out to the forest for a scavenger hunt, so we could use our found items for the stations we did next:

1. Leaf prints. Just paint the leaf and press onto paper.



2. Air dry clay. Start with a ball and press down onto your object.
3. Fossils! Here's how.







4. Painting crayon onto rocks. Put the rocks in the oven at 250' for 15 mins. The press the crayons onto the rocks in cool patterns.


No comments:

Post a Comment